Arjan Tales

My writing blog, experiments, and lessons in writing.

Monday, May 22, 2006

"Perfect Freak" by E.N. Wilson (Ideomancer March 2006)

Do you ever read a story and wonder what, if anything, you got from the experience? "Perfect Freak" is one of those stories. It has no start, no middle, and no end. A story like this could go on forever. The story presents two people reacting to a world which is a logical extension of one of humanities current fads: pointless cosmentic surgery. They react in different ways, but there is no commentary from the writer aboutthe world; the reader is forced to draw their own conclusions. Some may say that this is the pinnacle of art: present something and let the viewers reaction be genuine and unforced, as opposed to presenting an opinion via one character and let the viewer react to that opinion.
The difficulty with such art is that it doesn't always invite me in. This piece didn't invite me, it just left the door open and relied on my curiosity to peek in and stick around. I did, and wonder why I bothered.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home